Monday, January 4, 2010

Project 365-Day 4 Healing and Sisterly Love

Welcome to Day 4 of my Project 365!
I promise my days will get better...today I just didn't have motivation to really do a whole lot. Its way too cold to take the girls anywhere, Adalyn is still not up to par so we just hung out and watched movies all day.

The pain in my right hand started back in 2000/2001 while I was still in high school. Shortly after it started I noticed a rather large "bump" on the side of my wrist. My mother worked for several surgeons at the time so she talked with them about my symptoms and "bump" and they concluded I needed to be seen and possibly have surgery. During my appointment I was told I have a ganglion cyst and it was best to have it removed, so we did. The surgeon told my mom it was one of the worst he had seen and said it had been in there for quite some time. It had wrapped all through my tendons and was very hard for him to get out. After about 3 months we noticed that my pain wasn't getting any better and in fact it was getting worse. Several x-rays were ordered but nothing was wrong. I was sent to another Dr. who was convinced that since I was teenager I had done something wrong and was lying about it to not get in trouble. Over and over he kept going on and one and one that if I didn't "fess up" he couldn't help me. He finally said I had RSD, also known as RSDS or CRPS. He referred me to yet another Dr to help me with Pain Management. We left his office beyond pissed with the way he treated me and the next day my mom wrote up a formal complaint and sent it in. So off to the new Dr I went...he was nice but my "treatment" involved sticking long cotton sticks soaked in some medicine up my nose! He said there was a ganglion of nerves up there that connected with the nerves in my arm and the medicine was suppose to calm the nerves. Lets just say this, the treatment failed to work and I never went back :) So over the years I have had to deal with this pain and it slowly but surely it got worse and I started to lose feeling my fingers. Finally after delivering Adalyn I decided I needed to find someone to help me, by this point I had no feeling in my fingers and almost no feeling left in my hand. I was dropping things left and right and was losing sleep over the pain. Long story short I was finally referred to my new surgeon and for the first time he listened to me and knew it was serious. After a short test done in his office he determined that I indeed had carpal tunnel but he was worried that the nerves were being compressed further up by my elbow and possibly by my neck. After another test was done he determined we needed to do surgery and do it quickly. So the day before Thanksgiving we checked in at the hospital for my surgery. Once he opened my arm up he found 6 nerves completely compressed! No wonder I had no feeling.... So here's to you rude bow-tie wearing Dr who thought I was lying!!!! Had you paid enough attention to my symptoms and gotten off your high horse you would have clearly seen that I had carpal tunnel and I wouldn't have these nasty scars and another surgery to go through in the next few months!!!
So here are my scars almost completely healed...there is still another major nerve that seems to be compressed that will more than likely have to be operated on. Its a tough surgery so I'll have to wait a few months before we go ahead with it.
*** If you are easily grossed out over scars please just scroll down***





While I was pregnant with Adalyn I worried A LOT about how Abby would react with a new baby in the house. She had been the only child for almost 3 years and she is very "spirited" to say the least! Amazingly though, it seems the day we brought Adalyn home from the NICU she instantly loved her and calmed down so much! It was the complete opposite of what everyone thought would happen. So I figured I was in for it once Addie started becoming more independent. Abby has her moments with Addie but over all Abby loves Addie and often will tell you that its HER baby lol So with Adalyn not feeling good she has become "momma". So when Adalyn grabbed her comfort blanket and layed down this afternoon due to her having a sickly moment, and eventually passing out right there on the living room floor, I knew Momma Abby would take over so I grabbed my camera just in case lol
This is Abby "feeling" Adalyn's head to see if she's warm...


While down in her face she noticed she was asleep so kisses were in order, she then patted her back and loved on her for a good 5 minutes.


Abby warms my heart when she acts like this :) She can just drive me and her daddy (really anyone who has to watch her for long periods of time lol) to near insanity on any given day with her behavior but these little acts show us there's more in her than her horrible behavior.

I have a feeling these two little girls will grow up and be very close. They will of course have moments but I look forward to watching this sisterly love grow and mature. Hopefully they will accept a new sibling ,when the time is right, with the same love they have for each other :)

No comments:

Post a Comment